Ethics Regarding Civil Engineering


Field and Position:

While working at Jacobs Engineering Group under Building & Infrastructure, my position would consist of creating practical and enduring buildings for our clients. The job would involve both new construction and renovations. It will also require a team approach, for I must work well with architects and other various engineers.

Ethical Responsibilities within the Position:

A priority ethical responsibility must be commitment and leadership. I owe it to the company to stand by the objective even when the structure may seem complex or difficult. For if not for my employer, I would not have a job. Leadership is more for those who are under my supervision. I cannot lead a team without having confidence or composure, because it will lead to possible mistakes and injuries.

I must be fully be aware of what each project requires. This refers to the competence regarding my skills and knowledge within the field. Ethically, I cannot approach a project without thoroughly revising my work as well as my peer's. With consisted affirmative run-throughs, I can lower the percentage of accidents and mistakes on projects. In return, I provide a safe and healthy workplace while also adhering to the guidelines set by my superiors.

When dealing with the public and those who may not be under my supervision, my eithical responsibilities change. I must be completely confident as to how sound and safe a project is before anyone from the public enters the building. Although it may seem absurd to state this as an ethical responsibility, it is necessary. It is better to be clear and concise rather than vague which could lead to misunderstandings in the future. Being clear with my wording and communication is also key. As stated previously, without this basic skill many insidents and misinterpretations can occur.

Ethical Irresponsibility's Gone Wrong:

Nicoll Highway 2004

During the construction of the Nicoll Highway in Singapore, a tunnel used for the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) collapsed. This would result in four deaths and three injured. After much investigation, it was confirmed the accident was caused by the unstable and wavering of a retaining wall. In return, the main contractor Nishimatsu Construction Company (NCC) was reprimanded.

The NCC lacked consideration of the public's safety and their staff's well-being. They were ethically irresponsible by eye-balling the amount of stress the retaining wall could handle.



Save-On-Foods Roof 1988


The Station Square collapse in Burnaby, British Columbia by far surpasses the Nicoll Highway incident. A major structural failure with the beams used to support the roof/parking lot caused a 6,400 sq. ft. roof to cave in. The roof debris also sent 20 automobiles into the produce section below. This occurred within the first 10 minutes of the grand opening for Save-On-Foods.

Two structural engineering firms were involved with the construction of Station Square: Tamm Tracy & Associates and MMS Group. While MMS revised and recommended changes to various "insufficient" beams due to lack of capacity (the amount of load/stress the beam can handle), Tamm Tracy advised that modifications or alterations to the design were not necessary. Although there were more factors with the cause of the incident; both firms were found responsible for fast tracking, bidding for services, and breach of contractual responsibilities.

An Overview of Ethics within Civil Engineering:

Ethics, in general, is a difficult thing to define. However, the general concept of ethics in any field is to be open and honest with the production and consumer. Companies implement such standards and regulations to avoid backlash or repercussions, but ultimately want to keep a safe environment for both the staff and consumer. A simple reminder of ethics is to think about morals implemented on others to keep conduct regulated.





Comments

  1. As a computer science major within the same college, I love the fact that you were specific with the field and position as well as where you work. You also listed some amazing examples of the responsibilities within your chosen field and position. If I would change anything, I would maybe expand on the ethical responsibilities and branch it out a bit more such as responsibilities to your co-workers, your boss, the general public, etc..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it’s best to leave my ethical responsibilities for my co-workers and employer as is because after a while they start to seem redundant. However, I did add on the ethical responsibilities to the public as you mentioned. I did feel like it was missing something but I couldn’t point my finger on it. Thank you again.

      Delete
  2. Arlene, I appreciated how you used research on two different accidents. You use some jargon here, that could have used some explanation (particularly "affirmative run-throughs"), but despite that it was a strong blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts