Aftermarket Parts Design

Being that I would like to own my own aftermarket car parts business, the ethical responsibilities I must consider consist of the safety of the parts, ensuring all parts fit the way they are supposed to, and making sure customers are receiving a part that will do what it is intended to do.

Safety is something that must be followed strictly because not only are peoples lives at risk, but if someone gets hurt and it is my fault, the company can get hit with a big lawsuit. For example, a hydro e-brake that is supposed to keep the car stopped while in neutral slips and the car begins to roll. This can be a potentially life threatening accident. That is why prototypes must be manufactured and tested before they can be sold to the public.

Making sure parts fit the way they are supposed to not only will ensure repeat customers and widespread of product use. It is a ethical responsibility because I am giving my word that the dimensions are what I said they would be for each product. For instance, a shift knob is sold saying the thread pitch will fit a Nissan but it does not. This will hurt the company's credibility and the customer will not be satisfied. Not only would this make me look like a liar, but I would be lying and wrongly taking someone's money.

Parts doing what they should is very important. Say you buy subframe riser bushings that are meant to correct the rear suspensions geometry for better handling, but they are not even made of a material that can withstand the amount of force that the car puts on to them. If you buy something with the understanding that it is going to benefit you and it does not do its job, it could hurt the company's credibility and makes you not very happy being that you still have the problem that you had in the first place.

Being that my goal is to design aftermarket car parts these ethical responsibilities will be a part of my everyday job which will, in return, ensure the success of not only my business, but the happiness of my customers who will run my parts.

Comments

  1. You have considered the ethical considerations of your position. I think you made a very good point about customer service, btw. What is missing is an introduction to your field and maybe some nice images to get the reader engaged in what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts